Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 2

Wednesday, July 28
After morning prayers, a breakfast of oatmeal with the monastery's harvested honey was served. When the dishes were done, I went outside on the patio overlooking the lake and read. I had nice background noise of the Guatemalan nature along with Anya and Sarah's beautiful singing of church hymns. The sun was out and there was a slight breeze, perfect for just basking in God's glory. I took a nice, long nap before vespers, and felt completely refreshed for the evening. We had an appetizing supper with lisichki which are pureed chanterelle mushrooms, very popular in Russia. I have learned that delicious cusine doesn't always have to be these extravagant dishes but rather can be simple things. We had some dark chocolate covered pomegranates for a little snack afterwards. We spent a nice evening just talking with the nuns. Sometimes it is hard for me to go to bed when it is still light out, so I take advantage of this time reading. Our days are very simple at the monastery, and although they seem boring on a blog, they were indescribably fufilling and rejuvenating.

No comments:

Post a Comment