Sunday, July 25, 2010

No podemos perder esperanza

Saturday July 24, 2010

Yesterday, I had a really bad headache, which is rare for me. I thought that would be the worst of it. This morning, however, during a 6:30am bathroom run, I notice my skin looks very irritated on my legs. At first I just thought a mosquito got the best of me, but then as I examined other parts of my body, I realized it was more severe than just a pesky insect. I took a shower, thinking perhaps it would help soothes the irritated skin. A few hours with no change and no idea what this was, I seek help. As I was looking for Jesse the nurse, I run into the kids doing their chores. They were so concerned for me, it was so sweet. They thought I had an allergic reaction to the pig we ate Thursday for lunch. Apparently, even some of the children have this suprise reaction sometimes. We find Erica (because Jesse went home) who immediately calls the doctor. He gives me some allergy medication that I need to take 3xs a day for the next 3 days, some calamine lotion, and orders to not expose myself to sunlight. So here I am trapped in my humble quarters (at least I have internet!) until further notice with oatmeal, pills, and plenty of water.

There is talk of the possibility of spending a few days at the monastery at the end of this week (the kids start school next week). It has been something I am looking forward to since I was invited. Of course, I cannot go without being fully healed, so I am not taking any chances.

I was allowed to leave my room for vigil this evening. It was lovely to be back in the church together. Madre's mini sermon today was very touching. She talked about how there have been more ambulances and sirens in the streets, and bad news in the papers. How 16,000 people die a year here in the city. How the death penalty doesn't solve anything. How there are so many criminals, most being bad men. How women and children are abused. How we cannot lose hope...we need to pray for Guatemala and its people. We must be attentive in church and prayer, not only for our sake, but for our neighbors'.

After dinner, I caught up with a few girls who went to the parks the other day. They were telling me about la montana rusa (roller coaster translates to russian mountain in spanish, cool huh?) and how they would stay in the pool at the hotel past their bedtime. It sounds like they had a lot of fun (and a lot of junk food), but I am glad they are all back safe and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment